How do I report a crime or suspicious activity?
  • You can contact the Rahway Police Department at any time of the day or night by calling 732-827-2200 for non-emergencies. Please dial 9-1-1 for EMERGENCIES ONLY.
  • Reports for lost wallets, cell phones, license plates, driver’s licenses, and passport must be made in person at the Rahway Police Department, which is located on the corner of East Milton Avenue and Main Street (1 City Hall Plaza). If you are reporting a lost or stolen cell phone, you must provide the serial number and carrier information.

What exactly is a suspicious activity?
Suspicious activities can refer to incidents, events, individuals or circumstances that seem unusual or out of place. Some common examples of suspicious activities include: A stranger loitering in your neighborhood or a vehicle cruising the streets repeatedly; someone peering into cars or windows; a high volume of traffic going to and coming from a home on a daily basis; someone loitering around schools, parks or secluded areas; strange odors coming from a house or building; open or broken doors and windows at a closed business or unoccupied residence; screaming or fighting; strangers removing license plates or loading valuables into vehicles from a residence even if the moving truck looks legitimate.

When reporting suspicious persons, provide as much detail as possible. Start with the basics and get more specific. One reliable method to consistently make good suspect descriptions is to begin at the head and work your way down. For example: “He was a white male with blonde hair and glasses. He was wearing a brown shirt, blue jeans and sneakers.”

Here is a list of items you can describe when providing a suspect description: Sex, race, approximate age, height, weight, hair color and style (long, short, etc.), glasses, skin tone, general appearance (well groomed, dirty), clothing description (color of pants, shirt, shoes, jewelry, glasses, hats, etc.), scars, tattoos, and if you spoke to the person – their speech (accent, slurred). If the person left the area take note of their direction of travel.

When reporting suspicious vehicles, provide as much information as possible about the vehicle such as the make, model, color, approximate year (older model, newer model), license plate (and state) its occupants, or any identifying characteristics (dents, bumper stickers, lettering, etc.),and direction of travel.

When reporting locations of suspicious activities, provide as much information as possible. An exact location and specific address is always best. If not, is there an identifiable landmark nearby (store, restaurant, cross street, etc.)?

“If you see something, say something”. This is a good rule to follow! Never assume that the information you have is either trivial or insignificant, or that someone else has already reported it to the police. Many crimes are solved when information is gathered from multiple sources, and is evaluated collectively by the police department. They become parts of the puzzle that may lead to the successful conclusion of an investigation. When in doubt—call the police. You are the additional “eyes and ears” of law enforcement.


How do I check on the status of a case that has been assigned to a detective?
Please call the detective assigned to the case directly. If you are unsure of the detective assigned to your case or have been unable to reach that person, please call the detective bureau at (732) 827-2110 for assistance.


What exactly do detectives do?
Detectives investigate crimes or incidents assigned to them by their respective supervisors. They respond to crime scenes, collect evidence, interview witnesses and victims. They conduct interrogations when suspects have been identified with the goal of arresting the actor. Detectives may also investigate suspicious activity that they have uncovered through the use of informants or anonymous information.


Are all crimes and incidents assigned to a detective for a follow-up investigation?
No, this would not be possible. There are a number of factors that determine whether or not a case is assigned to a detective. Some of these “solvability” factors include the seriousness of the crime, how recently was it reported, the amount or absence of physical evidence, the amount of information readily available pertaining to a possible suspect and the availability of departmental resources.


How can I get a police report?
Copies of police and accident reports can be obtained at the Records Bureau from Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Some police reports cannot be released without a letter of discovery. If the police report pertains to an arrest, please call the Records Bureau at (732) 827-2143 during business hours to check if the report in question can be released.


The City of Rahway, the Board of Education and the State of New Jersey require an applicant to be fingerprinted for certain permits, licenses or employment opportunities. What is the procedure when fingerprinting is required?
Fingerprinting for City of Rahway residents is done by appointment only. Please call Detective Jon Miller at 732-827-2049 or Detective William Eicholz at 732-827-2079. There is a $25.00 service charge.


How to pay a traffic citation?
Traffic citations can be paid online at the NJ Courts website at: .

More information could also be found at: